View Single Post
Old 12-10-2009, 02:32 PM   #12
the nub
Papa Chino

Trading: (2)
LGC
the nub is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Easy Curry Chicken

For some reason, this thread was unavailable or not showing after my post. Essentially, the 'problem' IMO with this 'curry' recipe is not that it's a bad recipe, but just that it is not 'curry'. It's like making a marinara with 75% curry and 25% tomato base. It might taste good but it ain't no marinara. The proportion of tomato is waaaay out of whack IMO if you want any semblence of curry. If you want a chicken dish, by all means try the recipe. Just don't call it curry.

I make all my curry dishes without a fixed recipe and go by feel. Generally I find powders to be lacking in flavor so if I were to use one with a turmeric base for an Indian style curry, I would add roughly 10% garam masala, 10% ground cumin, 5% ground coriander, 5% whole fennel seeds, whole dried chilies to taste, 1-2 cinammon sticks. Lightly dry roast to bring out the aroma. The rest of the curry base would be coconut milk, yogurt or if I'm really lazy, half and half cream. However, the key point as mentioned above is the addition of tomatoes needs to balance with the base, so IMO for the above OP dish, not more than 4 med sized tomatoes.

This is an Indonesian style curry recipe that can use either pork or chicken.

Thai red coconut curry with pork

10 oz. pork sliced thinly (or chicken breast, prawns or tofu)
1 TSP C*ck brand red curry paste (yes it's really called that)
4 oz. Globe brand coconut milk
1/2 med carrot julienned
1 broccoli stem julienned

saute pork until very lightly browned
add curry paste, saute 30 sec.
add coconut milk
cover and simmer 5 minutes (do not boil)
add carrot and broccoli, turn off heat, cover for 1 minute

serve over rice
garnish with cilantro

serves two.

note- the curry paste is very spicy! This makes a mild/medium curry. No salt required. You could add 1/4 tsp. of sugar if you like to punctuate the coconut milk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thai style curry chicken.jpg (18.8 KB, 324 views)
the nub is offline   Reply With Quote