Old 02-25-2009, 06:13 AM   #7
germantown rob
Still not Adjusted

First Name: Rob
Trading: (1)
Partagas
germantown rob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Roaster review: Behmor 1600

Well first I want to say Joe Behm and his customer service was great and was needed right up to the end of it's life.

It is a great machine for the average home roaster, not an over zealous one like me. If a pound a week is what you are after it will work great.

I had 3 fires in mine, 2 where big chaff fires, no big deal. 1 was bad, beans where burning and it was pretty scary. This bad fire happened with monsoon beans and never could find out why those water logged beans where trouble for the Behmor.

When my motor died after 5 months and the machine was sent out to get fixed under warranty it took 2 months to get it back I bought a Hottop. At some point many months after the Behmor returned and the warranty was up I tried it again and it wouldn't get a 1/4lb to second crack...it now takes up space in the graveyard of a basement. This completely justified the expense of the Hottop since I would have gone through 3 Behmors at this point.

In the end I give the machine a lot of credit since it effectively created a roaster out of me. However the Hottop fits me better and can handle the abuse I throw at it, also any repair or part can be replaced by me, You can't even change the behmor heating lights yourself.
germantown rob is offline   Reply With Quote