Old 01-16-2009, 09:09 AM   #12
Slow Triathlete
I Need A Beer!!

First Name: Scott
Trading: (11)
RA
Slow Triathlete is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Virginia/Perique (VaPer) Showdown

Well I finally got to smoke some of Perreti’s Park Square over the past few days. A few people were kind enough to send some my way and now I have around 4 ounces of the stuff!! Thanks everyone.

This is one of the house blends put together by the Perreti company at their store in Boston. Here is the description of the blend on their website:

Red Virginia, Matured Virginia and Stoved Virginia are delicately spiced with just the right amount of Perique to create a rich and complex blend whose character evolves and emerges throughout the bowl.

Boy was I surprised by the appearance and texture of this blend. It is listed on tobaccoreviews as a “broken flake” but the sample that I got would be classified more as a ribbon cut. The only word that I can think of to describe it is fluffy. It is very fluffy and springy and at first appearance appears to be really damp. Boy was I wrong. This blend seems to defy the moisture rules that I have come to learn. Packing it was extremely easy and it pushed down into the bowl without any pressure having to be exerted on it.

The light was also easy. I had to wait for it to go out after the false light because it wanted to keep going!! Once this was lit it was off to the races!! I now see why this is one of everyone’s favorites. And again I am surprised at the quality and taste of a “house blend”. This is sold in bulk and like AJ’s VaPer and Anniversary Kake the taste and behavior of this blend outshines many of the more expensive tinned blends. The taste and burn stayed pretty consistent throughout the whole bowl. Doesn’t smoke hot and there is very little dottle when you get to the bottom.

I would classify this one as a mild to medium blend that could be smoked all day long if you wanted to. It has about a medium amount of Perique in it. Not the most I’ve smoked in a blend but certainly not the least either. It is also very smooth when you smoke it. The different tastes play off of each other but never outshine each other. I think that they mixed the individual components of this blend perfectly. I think that this one will take over 5th place. I enjoyed it more than Anniversary but I like the taste and Perique amount of AJ’s VaPer more.

1) McConnell Scottish Cake
2) Escudo
3) GL Pease Filmore
4) H & H AJ’s VaPer
5) Peretti’s Park Square
6) H & H Anniversary Kake
7) Reiner’s Long Golden Flake
8) Treasures of Ireland - Limerick
9) Dorchester
10) Luxury Bullseye Flake
11) McClelland Bulk 2015
12) GL Pease Telegraph Hill