Bolivar
TomHagen will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Corona Gordas - Tribute/Reviews/Comparison

Tatuaje Havana VI Hermosos

Wrapper: Nicaragua
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua

</B>
Blended in the style of the flavorful yet Medium Bodied Cuban Cigars.
Cigars are rolled in Nicaragua using select Nicaraguan tobaccos and classic cuban blending with a beautiful Cuban triple-cap.

Staying true to the pride of El Rey de Los Habanos. The Hermoso is simply a perfect size, and translates to "beautiful, lovely, fine" - all of which describe the Havana VI blend in a size that everyone is bound to enjoy. This corona gorda highlights the flavors in the blend and allows the cigar to change in subtle stages while smoking it.

The Hermosos are made in Esteli Nicaragua at the Tabacalera Cubana factory overseen by Don Pepin Garcia.
(taken from Tatuaje & NHC websites, respectively)

This is my first review here, so here goes...

Firstly, the wrapper and appearance of the cigar was wonderful. Few veins, nice oily-ness, slightly toothy in spots, but very symmetrically rolled and wrapped.

So to my surprise, upon cutting it with my Palio, the cap revealed tobacco which almost appeared to be short filler stuck in the end. Small chunks of tobacco were exposed and fell out!!! Never had this happen with a Tatuaje before (and I have been through almost the whole lines of Brown and Red), so I decided to cut slightly lower (as I cut a little high up on the cap usually) and the same thing happened again and some the wrapper cracked revealing binder!!! OUCH!!

Not to be totally crushed, I fired it up, and immediately that wonderful aroma of Tatuaje Havana VI wafted up...Toasted Black Cherries, a slight Chocolateyness and eventually developed a little spice about 1/2 inch in. I find this flavor very akin to Illusione MK, a little in San Cristobal (but less cherry) and in some Padron 26 Maduro (esp. no. 35 the small one). I really love it! Here it is less sweet than a Maduro, more powerful, and less complex, more bold than in the Illusione's signature taste.
The cigar didn't change much in flavor throughout, but certain nuances came out and dissappeared. Very consistant.
The initial flaw in the cap didn't hurt the burn, which was perfect, leaving a solid beautiful white ash.
The rough cut on the cap left an unpleasantness in the feel, and little tobacco bits in my mouth like a short filler or machine rolled - very uncharachteristic for a Tatuaje. Copious amounts of smoke on a very even perfect draw.

Overall: out of 10
Flavor 9
Burn/Draw 10
Appearance 9
Construct 6
Value 10 (most CG's aren't cheap because they come from premium brands, and are smaller smokes, so this is relative)
Smoking Experience 8
Total Avg. 8.67
I focus a lot on flavor being paramount, so I definitely would buy again and try again, cause the cap issue was the only bad factor. Consistant flavor throughout.