View Single Post
Old 06-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #2377
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Hello Duane, this info is from Bill at texasbbqrub.com and is similar to what Brent mentioned above for your review:

"Spare ribs: If you are cooking on a pit (low and slow about 225 degrees is great) then the general rule of thought is to do the ribs using the 3-2-1 method. That is the method that says 3 hours uncovered on the pit, then wrap for 2 hours, and then take them out of the foil and put them back on the pit for another hour to tighten the rib back up. I find that wrapped 2 hours the ribs are overcooked so use the same method and do the ribs 3 hours on the pit unwrapped then 1 to 1 ½ hours wrapped then another hour unwrapped back on the pit to tighten up the ribs. If you are applying a glaze or sauce it is best to apply that the last 20 minutes of the cooking when the ribs are tightening back up.

Baby Back ribs:
For the smoker, use the same method but cut your time to say 2 hours on the smoker unwrapped, 1 hour wrapped, and then 30 minutes back on the smoker uncovered to tighten the ribs back up.

If you are cooking baby backs on the grill then use a 1 hour on the grill, 45 minutes wrapped and then 15 minutes to tighten the ribs back up. If you are cooking on the grill it is usually best to turn the ribs during cooking so that both sides get even exposure to the heat. I usually turn mine about every 15 minutes or so."
Here's a thought-

This only calls for 3.5 hours of cooking time total, but at what what do you think they're figuring the racks to be? I saw a "Best Ribs in the Universe" recipe call for racks less than 2 lbs each, whereas the ricks I just put on the smoker 20 minutes ago are averaging about 3.3 lbs each. I'd think they'd need more time than that.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote