Old 04-12-2012, 08:35 AM   #7
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Trading: (10)
smitty81 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Handgun Scopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluck View Post
Oh yes this brings back memories.....I vote for no scope! I have the .460 S&W mag with the 8 3/8" barrel. I first put a middle of the road red dot on it that my local gun shop promised would handle the recoil "No problem". with the first shot the red dot exploded, Quite comically actually. Then the Leupold 2.5-8 VXIII. I managed 2" groups at 100 yds with that set up and believe me I was surprised....Then hunting season.....I realize I'm packing a revolver that weighs 5+lbs....ouch.
I pulled the scope and went back to open sights which net me 6" groups. I am fine with that from a handgun.
That's my little story. I sold the scope but still have the Warne base (was 100+ dollars then) if you are interested shoot (pun) me a PM.
FWIW the 460 is a blast to shoot, I'm not a fan of mega recoil in guns but this is one that's really not that bad and worth every bit.

Also. You will never find a Nikon in my gun safes.
Well, with that said.............

I would think that with a gun like this with a scope or without, your not gonna just walk around in the woods looking for something to kill. Especially if your hog hunting. More than likely you will be in a tree stand or a blind with something to rest the gun on.

If you can rest it on something and steady it, you can get great groups. At least I can.

Whats wrong with Nikons? I have had one on my deer rifle for about 8 years and have never had to even adjust it. I wouldn't want anything else on it in fact.
smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote