View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 11:08 AM   #2590
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: NHL '09 - '10 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
This would be so sweet.

Mike lets put it this way. A person can look at a set of numbers and develop one conclusion. I can look at a set of numbers and develop another conclusion. You look at the result of the numbers, I look at why the numbers exist. You see loss of points from injuries. I see a team who couldnt deal with injuries. Further everyone was healthy for the playoffs and it got you a narrow escape of the first round and a beat down in the second round which showed an old slow team which used their sticks instead of their skates and took frustration penalties cause they were getting out played. Until you can explain the playoff performance with a healthy club I will stand by my opinion.

The Sharks who whooped you didnt get any worse really and they may get a lot bette if they lock up Niemi, a lot of experts think the little tweaks the Canucks made will make them the team to beat. I think the Hawks are still much deeper then the Wings, they are younger faster and more skilled. Plus they have the experience from winning a cup. I see the Wings finishing no better then fourth. They just are not better then the top 3. They are also a year older and a year slower. Its just not going to happen.

It is nice to have someone in the thread who posts a lot though.
I agree stats can be interpreted in different ways. You obviously ignored the stats I posted. The Wings played 12 playoff games, as did Vancouver. The Wings posted better number in almost every category, yet they were too old. What was Vancouver's problem/excuse?

Chicago is a good team but they will have to figure out how to get through the Cup hangover. It may not seem real to towns that haven't won a Cup in a while, but trust me it does exist. Complacency is a killer.

Your Sharks lost the previously vaunted Manny Malhotra, Rob Blake, and Evgeni Nabokov.

If they get Niemi, maybe they are better off. But wait, isn't Niemi one of those good rookie goalies who is poised for a faceplant in his second year? Sounds like the argument you made against the Wing's goaltending applies to the Shark's as well.

Rob Blake is a big loss. He was a good defender, played a lot of minutes, an offensive mided defenseman, and the team captain. I know they tried to replace him with Niklas Hjalmarsson but ended up not getting him. They did drive up the price, which will make it harder for Chicago to fill other roles and might have cost them Niemi. As a Wings fan all I can say is thanks.

Lastly, without Malhotra, who's going to take a faceoff for the Sharks?

P.S. I have been a member since Oct 2008 and I only have 600 posts. This is the first time I've been accused of posting a lot. Although, I admit I do enjoy the "sparring" in this thread.