View Single Post
Old 01-15-2016, 09:40 AM   #2593
JonnyThunder
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
JonnyThunder is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
5 days for one of the small humidors you could probably take the shot glasses out and just put your cigars and beads in. Generally speaking, the built in analog hygrometers that come with inexpensive humidors are typically junk, don't even waste your time with them.
You were sure right about that. The analogue hygrometer was way off. Unfortunately my humidor is also a piece of junk. It will not hold humidity even after seasoning it three times. When I look at the seal I can visibly see that the wood does not make contact. I've ditched the entire thing for a sealable glass jar the owner of a smoke shop near me recommended.

Recently, when I've been smoking my cigars I've noticed something peculiar. I try to keep my cigars from burning too hot by keeping the ember low, but in the process of doing that what seems to happen is that only the center of the cigar burns. It winds up burrowing a hole into the cigar. Only the filler burns, not the binder or outer leaf. When I try to remedy this situation by keeping the ember burning hotter, I find that I get too much smoke and heat.

Once, I noticed that the hole burrowing itself through the cigar was tending to one side, and I also noticed that it seemed to take the shape of the cut I had made in the cigar. What I mean is, it seemed that I had made an insufficient cut and this was the source of the problem. However, making a larger cut did not resolve the problem. The cigar burned too loose and hot, and gave out too much smoke for my liking.

I enjoy a "cool" smoke. Sometimes when I smoke a cigar just right, I notice that it leaves a cooling sensation in the mouth that I love. What measures can I take to encourage this? Also, how can I discourage only the filler from burning?

Last edited by JonnyThunder; 01-15-2016 at 09:47 AM.
JonnyThunder is offline   Reply With Quote