View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #774
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnphoto View Post
I have been smoking cigars for a few years. I usually smoke at least one a day. I have been wanting to try out pipes but don't know what would be a decent pipe to start out with. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post
A lot of people start out with a Missouri Meerschaum Cob. Don't let the look or the price fool you. Even most seasoned pipe smokers have a couple cobs in their rotation. If you are dead set on a briar Dr. Grabows are decent pipes. My first was a Grabow and it still gets put to use, I would just avoid the really small ones. A little further up the ladder Brands like Savinelli and Stanwell have pipes in the ~$50 range.

With pipe smoking proper technique makes a bigger difference than the cost or quality of the pipe.
That last paragraph is the real deal. I have had Dunhill pipes that didn't smoke worth a tinker's dam, and have never had a corn cob that smoked poorly. Take out the filter though, it makes a huge difference.

Pipe cleaners are your very good friend, if you hear a slight gurgle, run a cleaner through the pipe from the stem to the bowl (do not remove the stem to do so). This will help you to smoke cool.

Peace of the Lord be with you.