Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePyroTec View Post
Agreed, after talking with my buddy who does fabricating, he is convinced we can make something to fit on the PBC. Will it work, won't know until we are done.

side note: I was also glad to hear from him he could easily make the PBC but to clone it down to the new drum, powder coating, & grill, he couldn't beat the price. We live in a small town so getting the small things need to build ONE wouldn't be cost effective.
I have two 55 gallon UDSes, the first one came to me built, but damaged and in need of some minor repair. The second one I built from scratch from a used drum. By the time I was done building the second one, I'd say my material cost was about 1/3 to 1/2 of a PBC, would have been a bit higher if I hadn't scrounged some parts like the fire basket, but the amount of hours I had to put in shot the labor cost way over what a PBC would have cost.

When people ask me now about building their own UDS, I just tell them to order a PBC, it's just so much simpler than building one and it really just works out to be the same IMO. Yeah, the 55s have more capacity than the 30s, but for most cases (cooks), I don't think it's going to make that much of a difference, and, I don't know how many people want to dick around with the variable airflow controls fitted to the UDSes that allows them to run anywhere from 220-ish to 380-ish versus the set and forget 275 of the PBC. Plus if you ever want to take it somewhere, the 55 is a PITA to move around, even more so if you don't own a truck.

Last edited by T.G; 09-22-2014 at 08:27 AM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote