View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all
Default Re: How an amateur can fix a leaky glasstop humi

Once the glass is exposed, use the chisel to scrape as much of the old glue as possible.

Note the gaps between the lid & the glass. No wonder this humidor leaked. I’m about to fix that problem

using fishtank silicone. I picked this tube up at PetCo, I think it was a couple bucks. It smells like solvent when it’s going on, but once it hardens the smell goes away.

I ran lines of silicone all along the cracks and beneath where the hold-down strips went.

I then repositioned the hold-down strips of wood, and clamped them with the 2 clamps I own. If silicone oozes out along the exposed glass, you can use a razor knife to trim it once it dries.

I did this on all four sides, leaving the clamps in position for about an hour before moving on. If I had more clamps, the job would have been done faster, but I wasn’t in any real hurry. I then reattached the woodstrips by pressing them in to the exposed staples on the inside of the lid.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote