View Single Post
Old 03-21-2020, 04:33 AM   #1974
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all
Default Re: Wristwatch collectors out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Hirsch is a popular brand for straps. Is it a deployment buckle? Some of the rubber straps are really fantastic and comfortable.

I believe Alpina a brand manufactured by Frederique Constant, right?
I checked out Hirsch but they don't have much in 23mm. I bookmarked them for future reference.

It's a pin buckle, but a nice one. It's reminds me of the buckle on a garrison belt; kind of an over-under arrangement. I usually replace pin buckles with deployment clasps or butterflies but I like this one.

I've read that FC acquired Alpina in 2002 but I don't know if they are made by them or if manufacture is separate. At any rate, the Alpina is currently keeping to about +1 s/d and the fit and finish is beautiful. I got an insanely good deal on it; only $820 (MSRP $2795) as a "Factory Recondition" but it came in the usual high end box with papers, etc. I don't think it was "reconditioned" per se, but I saw a review that showed the subdial hands on the wrong dials; the red hand on the running seconds instead of the 30 min. counter. What I suspect happened was that the factory accidentally installed them wrong and then had their authorized service centers swap them when retailers noticed it. I bought it from one of these centers on eBay (they have more). I never would have been able to afford it otherwise. What I like about it is the 70's style cushion case and that it's a mono-pusher; which is kind of unusual and hard to f*** up.