View Single Post
Old 10-15-2011, 10:30 PM   #76
RRocket
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (10)
RRocket is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rangers VS Tigers

Terrible managing by Leyland in this one, IMO. This game was a "must win" game but Leyland managed it like a regular season game. It was apparent to everyone (but Leyland) that Max didn't have it very early on, and the game would get out of control in a hurry at a time when you needed to keep it close. How much more convincing did Leyland need? Was it Max's inability to throw strikes, particularly first pitch strikes and getting behind nearly every batter? Maybe it was the 4 walks? Whatever Leyland didn't see, it seemed like everyone else was clued in Max didn't have good stuff. I was hollering for him to be pulled in the 2nd and bring Porcello in. Remember, this is the season on the line here and not a time to hope that Max would somehow, someway figure it out and turn it around. As usual, there was no sense of urgency from Leyland at all. It's a fatal Leyland flaw that he's way too generous and way too loyal to certain players.

Instead, he leaves him in too long and sets an impossible table for Schlereth. Then he pulls Porcello too early. Porcello would have been good for 4-5 innings at least. Sure Porcello got jobbed by a missed call on second, and if not for that the Tigers get out of the inning with little damage. Even so, why pull Porcello? You pull Porcello early, and you have to go to a bullpen that's been shaky at best for long relief. Are you trying to tell me going to Perry then Penny (who hadn't even pitched PERIOD) was a better chance of winning then leaving Porcello in and then come back out for the next few innings? I knew if he pulled Porcello, they had nobody reliable for long relief and the game was more than likely over.

Leyland blew this game. His questionable pitching decisions not only took them out of the game, but allowed the Tigers to be embarrassed.

Last edited by RRocket; 10-15-2011 at 10:38 PM.
RRocket is offline   Reply With Quote