YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: Sous vide

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
I managed to avoid opening this thread for a year and a half....but now that I have (due in part to some gimmicky appliance on Shark Tank)...I have a couple questions....and I'm too lazy to do real reading and research....I haven't even read through much of this thread, but I may yet

-Do I need anything other than one of those stick heater/circulator things (~$100), a $35 Sealameal, and some bags? A large stock pot as a cooking vessel.

-Do most things require a pre-sear or post-sear or some other type of before or after cooking? Yes

-I like food....but not enough to work very hard at it...I like grilling and pressure cooking and crock-potting....but if I decide this is like work, I probably won't get near it...is it work? That's a very subjective question. My answer is no. Season your food. Seal it. Drop it in pre-heated water. A real benefit is the consistency of results and the large window of food being ready. Steaks, chops, and chicken generally are 1-4 hours.

-I absolutely hate the fn name....prolly why I never opened this thread....Sous Vide????....really....wtf is that?...isn't it about time we say f*** the pretentious froggy gourmet stuff...and call it something American-y...like boilinabag or something? I'd probably have been all over it years ago, if it weren't for the name. Sous vide is just French for "under vacuum". If you eliminated food, drink, cigars, etc. based on a non-English name, you'd be missing out on an awful lot.
See my responses in red.

I gather from your post you're not a fan of cooking. For me, I get a lot of pleasure from cooking. For some, it is just a chore. If you are happy with grilling and pressure cooking and crock-potting, you may not want another cooking method. Just my