Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation
Default Re: Being a Hockey Parent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
I have a few questions for you hockey parents. My son is 4 and will be starting Kindergarten in September. He turns 5 in November.

My questions are:

What age can he start playing ice hockey?

What are the expected costs (ballpark)

Should I start him out in floor or roller hockey first?

I only ask because I've never really played ice hockey. I grew up playing street hockey and indoor floor hockey. In college I played a season of roller, but only 1 game in an organized ice hockey league as a fill in. I know nothing of how youth ice hockey works.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike just wanted to chime in also. Everyone has there own views on things. It is a lot of learn as you go though. I have picked Als brain and talked to many others. Each child is very different and you need to know your child and experiment to see what works.

1)Micah started playing ice at 3.5 He was pretty much the youngest kid though and there was good and bad about that. It definelty pushed him. If he will be 5 when the season starts thats more then old enough. Micah will be turning 5 during his second season.

2)Should be a lot cheaper for you, but out here it was about 1k for the season. regardless of age. So when you see the cost just remember it could be worse.

3) I stated Micah roller blading at about 2.5. He didnt ice skate till 3. I felt it helped him a lot with ice. I am about to do the samething with my middle daughter. Actually I start them in a 4 wheel plastic skate so they learn balance and push. Then a roller blade, then an ice skate.

Cause we are sharing heres a video from May for summer league. He is wearing 25 in the video. He was being lazy unless he had the puck. Sometimes he skates hrd sometimes he doesnt. At 4 I am just happy he loves skating and I never have to encourage him. You will see some parents do things at the rink that makes you shake your head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyob7dfiEw4
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote