Thread: Opus X Question
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2015, 07:41 PM   #24
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Opus X Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCaponi View Post
I really enjoy an Opus. I keep about two dozen around. I like to let them age for at least two years. Down my way they are tough to come by. I know of only one B&M that gets them and the owner hides them for his close friends. I stopped in one day and saw one of the employees smoking one. When she asked if she could help me I asked for some Opus. She couldn't hide it fast enough!
The one thing I'd keep in mind in that situation is that a lot of us have our own collections of sticks and it may be something from a personal stash, especially if its not in Opus season. That said, every market is different and in some markets Opus sell super fast, and in others(like our own), they sit for ever. We just sold our last from the pre-Christmas shipment today, and I've seen at other shops(McCranie's location by Lake Norman comes to mind) they'll have Opus at regular old SRP and its just sitting there half full at out of season times. It also could be something that was sitting for ages and not moving and the owner let the employee buy up the last of it just to get it off the shelf. I've had that happen with half a box of Dirty Rats once. They sat on our counter for over a month half full and the bossman let me take the remainder(no discount of course so it doesn't hurt him).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark View Post
My pet peeve is when I find a lot of them in stock, but they're marked up wayyy high, like starting at 20 bucks or so for a really small ring gage like a perfexcion#4. Smokey's in Royal Oak, MI is notorious for that.
This absolutely kills me when I see it. Seeing retailers online trying to sell Angels Share Robustos for $560 a box(~$19 a stick) when they SRP for $12-13 is super frustrating.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote