Thread: Turducken?
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2008, 03:02 PM   #12
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice
Default Re: Turducken?

It might be worth learning how to debone a whole bird and prep them yourself.
It's moderately easy if you cut out the backbone of each bird and go from there. You'll have to sew up the back of the turkey if you want a whole bird thing.
To bone a whole bird without cutting the back bone takes a lot of time and effort. You slip your hands between the meat and bones starting along the breast trying to free as much of the ribcage, breastbone and backbone as possible. From there you turn the bird inside-out and use a boning knife to separate the meat from the legs. It can be quite a pain to do.
A really good butcher will do it for you. Maybe even a supermarket butcher. I'm pretty sure you'll get a wicked "stink eye" from whoever has to do it though. It's very labor intensive. A tip would probably be in order. If you don't want the backbone cut out tell him or you may not get the whole bird.

You may want to do a search for a turkey or chicken gallentine. A gallentine is a boneless breast of poultry, sometimes stuffed, and rolled. Fancy french restaurants will poach it and serve it cold, but it makes a great roast.

Lay the boneless turkey breast skin side down. A healthy spread of stuffing could go on top. The boneless chicken breast goes on top with another (or the same) stuffing, the duck next with stuffing. Then you roll it up like a big fat poultry spliff and tie it up with butcher twine.
Make sure you use a thermometer to get it up to temp. You don't want to kill any relatives, (well that's up to you).

Good Luck!