Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation
Default Re: The Official Asylum Reef Tank Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8tor152d View Post
Beautiful tanks gentlemen. I once upon a time had a 95 gallon saltwater tank. That is also when I lived in Hawaii and could walk down to the beach for my water changes, and oh yeah caught my own fish too. I will have to look I know somewhere I have some pics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Sick Jason!

I knew a guy with I think a 300 gallon surge tank down in Key West. He was on a canal and a pump would fill up a 300 gallon barrel then when it was full a valve would open and the barrel would completely replace the tank water. And the tank water wouled drain back into the canal.

Think free easy water changes awesome!
Guys,
While it certainly is convenient, not something I would do with my tank and the value of the fish I have.
In the business, I did it for a while. Lots of folks in Florida that specialize in delivering ocean water also.
Eventually, I set up 200 gallon per day RO units, a trailer with a 100 gallon tank and mixed my own salt.
I no longer have the trailer but have two 45 gallon containers in my garage with the same RO unit. I pump the water out of my tank and pump back in from the containers where I just throw the salt in.

The reason to refrain from sea water is it contains pathogens and parasites. Unless you treat that water in a recirculating system with heavy duty UV's, before introducing it to your tank, you are seriously risking introducing lots of junk that is free floating in the ocean, into a very confined system that can crash it. After a few fatal episodes that arose as result of sea water, never did it again.