Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Son looking at military...advice please

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvilchez View Post
I'm sorry but I would have to disagree with you on this one. QOL depends on where you're located, best bases as well, and as far as shortest deployments, my niece did a 15 month tour as an AF Staff Sergeant while I know some other branches do deployments in the area of 2-3 months maximum (depending on many factors).

Gentlemen,

I would like to say to all who have given sage advice is to please continue to advise and not sell your service to Scott or his son. I have seen many state that research is key and that they can only speak for their branch they served. Please continue this process of passing knowledge to those who seek it.

To those who try and sell their branch as the best amongst all please stop. I mean this with all sincerity and honesty. We all look like fools when we attempt to downplay each other. This is definitely not the example we would want for others to emulate especially when trying to decide which branch of service to choose. Our espirit de corps as a fighting force, whichever branch it may be, must continue on as a legacy that has always been bound together by trust and loyalty.

For those who say recruiters lie, I PERSONALLY take offense to that comment for I myself was a recruiter for 3 years and can swear on a Bible and any of my children's lives that I never lied to any applicant. I actually at one time worked under one of my applicants. Every single time I see one they thank me for introducing them to this life we have chosen to pursue.

Scott,

Many have already harped on it but all I can say is RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH!!! There are so many factors in trying to decide which branch, what occupational field, etc. If you need any specific questions answered from individuals whom you would feel would give you the low-down on the branch then we are here as brothers and sisters to help you and your son. But please understand that we only know so much as far as our branches are concerned. It is not possible to know everything there is to know.

I deeply appreciate you doing this together with your son. I know I wish I had my father helping me decide when I made my decision to enlist. If he feels he might be getting rushed into something and needs to hurry to decide then my suggestion would be not to do it. This is not a decision that should be made on rush terms. This is the beginning of a possible career and like I told my brother-in-law when he graduated high school, welcome to life. This can also be a very good learning experience for him. Just as long as he learns from it.

Whatever his decision may be, I wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavors. My hats off to both of you. You for the support you are giving him and your son for even contemplating the thought of the military. I have a feeling that if he decides to enlist or commission that he will serve the nation proudly and make his father even prouder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgusP2 View Post
Where the heck is the clapping smilie?

Sage advice J!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Anything for you, my friend

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote