View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #7
goomer

Default Re: Cleaning the outside of a Meer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanaspus View Post
I can't think of anything that won't also be harmful to the patina, but do this: Buy some beeswax from a craft store. Smoke a bowl of tobacco in the pipe, and while the pipe is still warm, rub the outside with the wax. Remove excess if there is any after the pipe cools.

This is something that should be done as a normal course of maintenance anyway. I suspect that after a couple of said treatments, you'll be happier with the look of the outside.
Thanks for the advice. I'll give that a try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBear View Post
Meerschaum is a type of clay, so the pipe itself is a fired version of that, a ceramic. You don't want to scratch the inside of the bowl just in the same way you don't want to scratch a fine china plate, only the consequences for scratching meerschaum are more severe due to its use. Once you've scratched the bowl you've essentially given the bowl a slight crack. Just wait for that first relatively cold day where the temperature gradient from the inside of the bowl of the pipe to the outside is large, the crack will essentially expand until the pipe itself breaks.

Meerschaum, while durable when talking from a purely smoking stand point, is the most durable of all pipes as you will never burn it out so long as its treated with care, but from any other standpoint it is the most fragile of pipes. If you drop it, its likely to shatter and you can't take it out on cold days like a briar as it risks the pipe cracking/shattering.
Makes sense. I may have to pick up a non-meer then for the colder days. Thanks.