View Single Post
Old 11-06-2008, 09:18 AM   #15
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Ken is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Asylum Members Workout Thread

Damn Tombstone, you're a huge dude. Quite obvious you are not at the beginning of this endeavor. As far as adding another 10lbs to that frame, well, I wouldn't listen to some anorexic tart or Dorian Yates on how to get more fit, so I'm not going to speak on the subject you definitely know your **** about.

Tom is a monster himself, so he has got to have great training protocols and I'd guess your training is a much better match.

Adding/keeping muscle while ditching the fat; what we strive for. Need to tap into "short-term intense interval training". You can probably go straight to Tabatas if you haven't already done them before. They increase both anaerobic and aerobic systems, they're quick workouts, can be scaled with variations, and brutally effective.

If you haven't done Tabatas start with a stationary bike since that would be easiest to make adjustments to. You have 8 rounds of work at 20sec on and 10sec off. So you hit the exercise as hard as possible (or moderate to begin) for 20sec's and rest 10sec's and repeat another 7x. This will turn into a total of 4 minutes. With the stationary bike I usually take about 5-10min afterward and then workout. Though with body squats, front squats, and other variations it can become torturous. I enjoy these as well for the challenging aspect. They'll test you physically and mentally.

So on a bike try for the highest RPM each round, row machine try for distance, and body movements shoot for highest reps. You just want to make sure what ever you choose it allows you to quickly go from go-stop-go. So something like the back squat just doesn't work well. And when you decide to add weight on something like the front squat, do not let ego get the best of you. Not a lot of weight is needed.

I've also spliced some music to help with the beginning and ending points which many people have liked using. I'll have to link it back out on the web if you're interested it. You need some type of timer to make this work if you aren't using a machine to watch the clock.

Here are a couple articles that have good info on it for more detail. edited: these have all the scientific jargon in them, so no need for me to regurgitate it. I'm a computer guy but I don't do tech talk either.
http://www.cbass.com/SEARCHOF.HTM

http://www.cbass.com/Tabata_GXP.htm

Kettlebells are a good S&C tool. I don't get into all the movements, but really like swings. So I started doing 10 minutes of swings. About every other month I do this and have to beat the last rep count. The 1st couple of minutes aren't bad, by the 7th I'm hoping for something to fall out of the tree and hit me, and at the 9th I figured I hadn't died yet so I can push a few more.
----------------------------------------------

So if I want to increase my deadlifts, what do you prefer for upping strength? There's a number of methods to use (5x5, rack pulls), but what do you find to work best for you? While I don't want to get away from my training I want to get my deadlift up quicker.

Last edited by Ken; 11-06-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote