View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 07:15 AM   #39
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all
Default Re: "Boardwalk Empire" Season 1 Banter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSB75 View Post
Got to be honest, I enjoyed this, but I'm still waiting for the story to start. This episode felt a lot more like it was just setting the scene, introducing some characters and maybe planting some seeds that will grow into a story. I enjoyed it for that and I'll keep watching but I'm still waiting to be pulled in by characters that resonate. For the moment, I think they spent too long dwelling on the little details, the costumes, the billboards, the cars, the store signs, etc. and not enough focusing on who these people are and why I should care about them.

Both Steve Buscemi and Scorsese are awesome and have earned the benefit of the doubt from me, though the smaller, long form of TV is very different from the larger short form of cinema.
I agree to ur basic point. they definitely were establishing characters, spending time briefly on their backgrounds (stressing Jimmy was in WWI etc). And with an era different than our own, u need to get the sense of the times in the minds of the views right away. The first episode of the Sopranos is very similar.