Thread: Headphone help
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #26
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice
Default Re: Headphone help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat1075 View Post
Grado or Shure for my money just depends on whether he wants in ear or over. Shure for in ear Grado for over
I've read great things about both of those as well. I have a couple friends who have had Grado's for years, though I can't remember the models they own. Other than normal wear and tear (foam does tend to collapse over time) they have held up very well.

Who would've thought a simple question about a pair of headphones would breed so many different responses. I mean, after a certain pricepoint, you're really just splitting hairs or touting personal preference. What you actually hear is so subjective. From the source/processing of the composition you are listening to, to how sensitive the individual's ears are when they actually perceive the sound. In this sense, I would think the best bet is to have your son try out a few pair, and see which HE likes the best. Though I suppose that's the same concept as "smoke what you like, like what you smoke." In which case, I'm only telling you something you innately already know.

I wonder if on some audiophile forum, if someone posted a topic about "I want to buy some decent cigars for $200 or less," how many different responses would come from that as well lol.

Honestly, Sennheiser, Audio Technica, Shure, and Grado are all well-respected brands. Stick with something in the 100-140 range, and you should be light years ahead of his old phones.

Oh, and try not to mess up the new ones.

Last edited by pektel; 08-23-2012 at 01:41 PM.
pektel is offline   Reply With Quote