Thread: On Memorial Day
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2017, 04:41 AM   #9
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all
Default Re: On Memorial Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Thank you for the post Mark. It was one hell of a bloody war as most. Not only should we remember that period, and the period before which established our great Country, but the men and women who gave their lives in battles that followed thereafter.

I have a good friend named George, a mentor of mine in investigations, who was a Navy Corpsman during the Vietnam era. He had spent about a month getting it together over there and was attached to a small group of Marines. They were transported by chopper, and unfortunately, had to land in a hot LZ. George had no sooner jumped from the chopper and had taken a few steps, when a round struck him and had fortunately made a clean exit. He was medivac from that location, and spent a few months healing.

When the doctor cleared him, he was attached once again with another small group of Marines. This lasted a very short time as he was once again struck by a round which made a clean exit.

They gave George an Honorable discharge from the Navy following his second Purple Heart and a free ride home from Vietnam.

To this day, I shoot George an email and/or call him (mainly to hear him sob) to thank him for his service to our Country. Thereafter, I usually attend the Memorial Day Service at Eternal Valley Memorial Park in Newhall.

So, on this Memorial Day, remember to thank a Vet for their service. They will greatly appreciate those words
The Corpsman on my boat served in Vietnam with a Marine unit and he had more medals than I ever saw on anyone else; he could barely fit his Dolphins on his uniform. One time in Holy Loch, Scotland, he was on the Tender during a security violation drill. He was standing in the middle of the passageway when a Marine butt-stroked him to the bulkhead. When the Gunny found out who he was, they assembled every Marine on the fantail in dress uniform to apologize. One time I got a metal sliver in my eye and he removed it with a syringe needle. What a steady hand! I've met very few MD's who I trust as much as him and we were lucky to have him.

Last edited by Subvet642; 05-28-2017 at 04:47 AM.
Subvet642 is offline   Reply With Quote