View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #3
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Finally, the BIG GREEN EGG IS SCHEDULED TO ARRIVE!!

Congrats on the BGE purchase. I have a medium and a large and absolutely love them. Shoot me an email and I will send you a couple of rub recipes and a couple other things you might be interested in.

Duane steered you right on the Maverick. They are reasonable and dependable. I also agree that you can start with a pork butt if you want to do a long cook.

One Egg tip... when you start your fire for smoking do it only in the center. Then put your plate setter drip pan and grate in. Open the air intake all the way and the slider top all the way. HOWEVER, keep an eye on your temps. If you let an Egg get too hot it is a bear to get it back down.

Once you get it to 225 or so close the air intake to about 1/4 inch and close the slider top. Then open your petals to about 1/2 way open. Keep an eye on the temps again and adjust the air intake down if needed. To run at 225 I barely have the intake open 1/8 of an inch.

Try as much as possible to make you temp adjustments with air intake. Also, big adjustment with air intake... small ones with the petals.