View Single Post
Old 08-29-2009, 09:38 AM   #16
:eevis

Default Re: Bombed by the Wifey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunng View Post
Very cool!

Are the instructions anywhere on the process of converting them?
THe way I do it is find a food safe 55 gallon drum. Make sure that it has Only contaied something that is safe to ingest. THe ones that I get contained fruit juice concentrate.
I then drill four 1.5" holes three inches up from the bottom, which will then be used for the vents at the bottom for temp control, i just get caps to close them off. ANd then drill 3-4 holes of the same size in the lid
Then I burn them out twice to get rid of the exterior paing and the interior liner. I usually break down a pallet each time, since I get them free up the street.

Next drill 3-4 holes at the about 26-28" from the bottom. You will then use this holes for the bolts that you will use to hold your cooking grate. THese drums hold a 22.5" weber grate perfectly

Also I drill a hole that i place a thermometer in.

you can either get some hig temp paint for the outside, or like i do, two coats of high temp grill paint, and then add regular metal paint for the color. It seems to hold real well.

in the bottom of the drum, it put 2-3 fire bricks that i put a charcoal grate on, also from a weber kettle. and get a couple of pieces of expanded steel and create a ring that sits right on the grate. THis is going to hold the charcoal. It is usually about 12-15 inches tall. Mine can hold about 10lbs of unlit coals, plus a chimney full of lit coals. Add a handle to the lid and you are are set to smoke. I can usually get about 10-12 hours of 250* cooking out of the 10lbs plus the lit chimney!

Just make sure that any hadware that you use is stainless steel and not zinc plated, as zinc fumes ain't the healthiest thing for ya!

If you have any questions, PM me. Enjoy!