Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation
Default Re: Sous vide

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Trying to determine if the Wi-Fi model is worth the extra $70.
I have the Wi-Fi model. At the time I ordered mine it was $30 cheaper than the Bluetooth model.
I think whether or not it's worth it depends on how you plan on using it.
I'm always monitoring pit and meat temps when I bbq, so doing the same thing with the Anova appeals to me.
If you don't see the need to start it up, monitor it, or access it remotely, than it's probably not worth it.
I personally like the thought of being able to monitor it, but I don't think I'll ever start it remotely.

Quote:
Aside from better wireless range and being able to configure a router to allow one to communicate with the cooker from outside your home (or wherever you have the cooker set up), is there any other difference between the BT and the Wi-Fi?
As far as I know, that is the only difference.
All the specs on the Anova website are the same, and the units look identical
I found this blurb in a review on CNet

Quote:
This is the company's second connected product for home cooks; the previous Anova Precision cooker only has Bluetooth, which gives users the ability to control the cooker from across the house, but not across town. Besides the addition of Wi-Fi, the newest Anova isn't much different than the Bluetooth-only model, which costs $20 less. Both cookers are nearly identical, as is their cooking performances. The most notable difference is the availability of the bare-bones app that pairs with the Wi-Fi unit. You can connect to the Anova Wi-Fi cooker from anywhere, but the app is pretty limited in its commands. Anova's previous app for the Bluetooth-only model, which is available for iOS and Android, is far more robust and helpful for using the precision cooker. Fortunately, you can use the heartier app on the Wi-Fi cooker. Just brace yourself for double notifications from both apps.
Quote:
Is the phone app even any good? And does anyone really even use it to control the cooker? Play store reviews for the android version are mixed.
Being alerted when the water comes to temp and being able to set the timer are nice features, but the range sucks.
The few times I let the Anova heat the water, I used my Maverick thermometer to alert me since the app can't see the Anova from my lounge.
I haven't seen the bare bones Wi-Fi app Cnet mentioned for android, so I haven't had a chance to even try any of the Wi-Fi features.