View Single Post
Old 02-25-2022, 08:27 AM   #3012
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Scotch is an interesting one for me, I had always associated "Scotch" with "Good Sipping Whisky" and bourbon was just something you mix with coke to get drunk. Even up until maybe 4 years ago my dad would get me a gift card to my local liquor store for my birthday and I'd go in to see which 18 year of any Scotch they had on sale and I'd buy one. Then one day my eyes were open to Bourbon and I started down that crazy slope, and pretty much stopped drinking Scotch all together overnight. A year or two ago a brother from another board and I started up a whiskey sample swap, every few months sending a whole bunch of samples to the other person based on whatever we're drinking. One time he sent me a series of Scotches ending with a 25 year old, the next in the lineup was a Buffalo Trace store pick and I preferred that to any of the Scotch I just drank, regardless of price which I know was vastly different

That being said, when I was doing a bottle purge a few months ago I pulled out a bunch of 25% or less full bottles to kill off, one of which was a Glenfiddich 18 I've had for I don't know how long. I took a sip and pulled out all sorts of great flavors I had never gotten before, a little honey and some floral, it was delightful but took a look of searching due to the low proof. I didn't end up killing that bottle, I put it back with a few pours left, but honestly I don't have the time/money/available alcohol consumption to get into it. I have some friends that are always buying distillery exclusives and getting them shipped over, they say it's cheaper than anything halfway decent you'll find on a shelf in the states, but I know I'd need cask strength and I know those come with a price tag I can't justify so for now I'll stick with really really really enjoying bourbon (and rye, and american whiskey, and sometimes rum) and leave the Scotch to the Scotch guys

Anyways, Tom why you drinking Diet Weller?