View Single Post
Old 02-15-2022, 01:47 PM   #3005
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Steph and I met some family up in Franklin, TN for a long weekend. We visited two distilleries while we were there. I didn't want to hit the big boys that are around there (Jack Daniel's and George Dickel); I was interested in the small guys. We went to Leiper's Fork last Friday and H. Clark Distillery on Sunday.

Leiper's Fork makes three whiskeys, Bourbon, Tennessee Whiskey, and White (unaged) whiskey from a Bourbon mash. The first two were good representations of the style, and very smooth at 100 proof. The White was also quite good, with the tequila-ish odor and slight flavor of moonshine but also with the sweeter whiskey taste. The tour guide said his wife uses it instead of tequila in margaritas and I can see how it would be good that way.

H. Clark Distillery is small. REALLY small. The owner (H. Clark) is apparently the guy that wrote the bill allowing distilling in all the counties in TN, instead of just the three that were allowed once Prohibition ended.

Their Single Barrel Bourbon is quite tasty, and has a bit of spice from higher than average rye in the mash bill.

The Black & Tan is an interesting concoction born out of the need to get more than one use from a barrel and an interest in experimentation. A good portion of the mash bill is what is used for brewing oatmeal stout beers. It's got a heavy mouth feel with some chocolate and oat flavors, and a lingering aftertaste with a nice bourbon kick.

The Company Distilling Bourbon is not made by H. Clark, but by a friend of theirs who retired from Jack Daniel's and wanted to make his own whiskies. (Company Distilling and H. Clark are going to merge into one business soon). It's a wheated Bourbon and is very smooth and tasty.

As for the gin, well, I'm not a gin fan. Never have been. I can tolerate Bombay Sapphire but that's about it. H. Clark's gin blew me away. Apparently it won some awards last year. It's so good I could just pour some over an ice cube and sip it.

When I said H. Clark is small, I meant it. Here's me beside their 100 gallon still.