Thread: Sous vide
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2022, 08:48 AM   #836
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all
Default Re: Sous vide

Following up about my Christmas morning brunch while it's still somewhat fresh in my mind, and because I always look back at my posts in this thread when I'm trying to remake something

I started by making some brown butter, then took it off the heat and mixed in some honey. That mix went into the bag with a big chunk of pork belly (3-4lb I think) and cooked at 170* for 10 hours (or 11-12 because of timing with other Christmas morning stuff). I took it out and saved the >4C of pork bag juice. I then took that juice and added a little brown sugar and cooked it down for a glaze, it was taking too long so I ended up dumping some of it so it would get glazy faster. Once that was thick I broiled the pork belly on a wire rack, took it out and cut into sections then put the glaze on and hit it with the kitchen torch. Separately I caramelized some pears with butter and brown sugar and served the pork belly on top of the pears

Final takeaways: The pork was cooked fine, but lacking excitement. I think it needed more of the honey to really compliment the pears and work as a breakfast dish. One way to do this is add more honey brown butter to the bag when it cooked (It felt a little light), another way to improve would be to coat each piece in the glaze rather than just spoon a little on top, it probably needs both of these next time. I think if every bite of pork had more honey and butter taste it would have been better, since the pears weren't overly sweet and couldn't carry the dish on their own