View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Straight pipes -vs- Bent (and fishing)

I know there are many people out there who love bent pipes. They think they are the way to go. In fact, some I have heard a few who have said they would never smoke a straight. That's a debate the is personal preference, and indeed, I like a bent.

That being said, I prefer straight pipes.

Why?

1) A bent pipe more easily collects condensation at the point of the bottom of the bowl and draft hole. This is why a bent often produces more gurgle. And, as steam produces tongue bite, a bent is often less forgiving in that area than a straight. Of course, proper packing, technique, and pipe cleaners can alleviate most of this.

2) And this is the most important thing to consider. A straight is better for fishing in the streams.

"What?" you are thinking.

It is simple. As I look at the weather for this coming Sunday - Monday, "tut, tut, it looks like rain." What am I going to bring to smoke? Some people would say, I don't know if I even want to go fishing in the rain. If the water is fairly clear, sometimes stream fishing for trout in the rain is the most productive time.

But, most smokers don't even consider what they'll smoke if it is raining. Why? Ever smoke a cigar in a steady rain? Not going to smoke good ones. Ever smoke a pipe in a steady rain? Most people won't.

But why not? You can smoke a straight pipe in a downpour without the brim of a hat to cover it. You cannot smoke a bent that way, though.

Huh?

If you smoke a straight pipe, all you need to do is turn the bowl upside down and it is effectively waterproof. You can even tamp and relight it while inverted.

Try that with a bent pipe.

So, all you stream trout fishermen, get yourself a couple straight pipes for those rainy days. You'll be glad you did.

Oh yeah, I can now see a couple of you who have read this, trying your pipes upside down.

Just a word of caution. Do not do this indoors or while sitting. Why? Falling ash and possibly embers. Which is why standing in a stream is perfect for this method.

Peace of the Lord be with you.