View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008, 08:27 AM   #27
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fa

Yet another word on the "P" word. New pipe smokers think they should "pack" a pipe. I eschew the use of the word pack relative to pipes. It's the wrong message. Pack is not what you should do with a pipe. Everything about "packing" a pipe ends up with a pipe that is improperly filled and won't smoke properly. Fill a pipe. Load a pipe. Prime a pipe. Prepare a pipe. Caress a bowl with tobacco if you must, but never PACK a pipe. A packed pipe by implication is a carelessly prepared and, ultimately, PLUGGED UP pipe.

And while we're on the subject. A befouled packed pipe will not suddenly get made right by using that pointy poker-thingie on the multi-tool, either. That pointy poker thingie has a couple of uses but it isn't much good for correcting a pipe that is overstuffed and rapidly expanding into a rock-solid blockage of the airhole. Fergettabowdit. It is VERY good for getting the squirter thingie on the Zippo fluid can lifted open, though.

Pack a bag.
Pack a punch.
Pack a bearing.
Pack a lunch.

Don't pack a pipe.

This post is my Christmas present to all the new pipe smokers who are wandering these halls. Happy day.