View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 08:44 AM   #28
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone tried Aqua Gems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
HCM Beads are different from both the Aqua Gems and Heartfelt beads. They are much smaller (about .5 to 1mm in diameter) and are made of clay (rather than a polymer); they absorb as well as release humidity (as does Heartfelt).

The HCM beads can be set to any desired RH. While I am certainly biased toward the HCM beads (Shilala's Beads), both products are good and will do the job for you.

The risk you are taking with your cigars getting moldy by using Aqua Gems is IMHO too great.
I use HCM beads as well, my father's humidor uses a Humi-Care jar. His humidity fluctuates anywhere from 69-72 RH... My humidity is rock solid at 65, which is what my beads are set for. Even so, he does not see the advantage, his philosophy is more relaxed about cigars, where as mine, I want everything to be perfect. It all comes down to preference and how anal retentive you get about it.

I have never used Heartfelt beads so I cannot comment, but the HCM beads I got from www.shilalasbeads.com have worked perfectly for me. I plan to purchase some more soon for a 2nd Humidor I just picked up for storing Flavor Infused cigars.

The way I see it, I have about 200 cigars worth hundreds of dollars in cash. Spending 20-30 dollars on humidification that is proven time and time again is a small price to pay. Why risk your cigars with an experiment that will only save you a few bucks.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote