View Single Post
Old 06-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #49
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice
Default Re: What other brands cat litter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
I'm still boggled by this. Isn't kl specifically formulated to ABSORB moisture? How does it add moisture back to air in a low humidity environment?
From the HCM webiste:

"In order to get the same humidity buffering benefit from kitty litter as from HCM beads, a person would need to use 9 to 14 pounds of kitty litter as compared to one pound of HCM beads. At $50 for a pound of HCM beads and $28 for 14 pounds of kitty litter, it appears at first to be a "value". The problem is, in order for the Kitty litter to work as well as one pound of HCM beads, it needs to be arranged so as to provide 910 square inches of surface area as opposed to 65 square inches of surface area for HCM beads. Are you willing to spare that kind of space in your humidor?

Even at that rate, the kitty litter is far slower reactively than are HCM beads. They can handle the buffering and provide the volume needed, but they take much longer to recover the RH of the conditioned space."

This is from people who have done the math. Not someone who simply added KL to a humidor and watched a hygro.

If you live in an area where the RH doesn't stray too far from your ideal range for your cigars, then the KL may work just fine. You won't catch me with KL in my humis though. Northern MN goes through a little bit of humidity swings between the seasons.

Last edited by pektel; 06-22-2013 at 10:21 AM.
pektel is offline   Reply With Quote