View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 04:22 PM   #922
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeWaterBeer View Post
A dozen small bell jars only runs about 10 bucks. I highly recommend them.
Also, if you go the jar route, check the lids on jars you don't open often after a couple days as they will sometimes loosen a bit. You should only have to re-tighten once though once fixed and left alone.
I use canning jars for my bulk tobacco, but for tobacco already in a tin? Do you seriously take it out of the tin to put in a jar? I applaud you for doing so!

Personally, I like the tins for another reason - because I can slip one in my pocket and go. If I want to take some tobacco that is jarred, I take a couple pipe's worth and put it in a tin or pouch - glass jars don't not travel well, and break too easily (yes, I learned the hard way - I even thought 1/2 pint jars, being smaller was the ticket - it took break 2 of those even to teach me).

I have a large-ish Rubbermaid container that seals air tight, I think it was made to hold a loaf of bread. At present it has 9 tins in it, some 50g and a couple 100g. A couple of the tins have been in there for over a year and are still fresh.

In the 32+ years of pipe smoking, I've done a bunch of things. In college, I had only one container with tobacco, and it was the only blend I smoked. It held almost a pound, so I would just fill it up and smoke it. Usually, it lasted me about 2 months. I had either a pipe or a cigar in my mouth almost constantly, and pipes more than cigars. (My humidor held about 100 cigars, and it usually only had Punch Rothschilds, AF Chateaus, AF Rothschilds, and El Rey del Mundo Robustos in it.)

It wasn't till I was at Seminary that my tastes in tobacco expanded. I tried to get by on the cheap, and I really thought I couldn't justify a bunch of different tobacco sitting around. Well, that changed and so I needed to discover ways to store numerous open tins and bulk tobacco in baggies that were open so I could leave Mason/Ball jar sealed shut w/out opening and closing all the time. I also began to smoke less often, and cigars began to take up more of my smoking rotation space. That's where I discovered the Rubbermaid container. It has been servicing my "open tobacco" sealing needs for about 25 years or so.

There are many ways to do this, mine is just one.

Peace of the Lord be with you.