Feeling at Home

First Name: Justin
Trading: (30)
LGC
McSmokey will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cast Iron Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
Water in cleaning isn't the issue. Soap is the no-no for cast iron. My typical cleanup is super hot water in pan/pot for 10 minutes or so, then wipe it out with a non-soap dishrag. If my stove is still hot, or if I'm cooking on coals, I add water to the level of whatever was cooked, then set it back on fire/heat to get water hot. Been cleaning this way for 30+ years. Only thing is, you can't put the water in it, and walk away and forget it. One day in water, and you will find yourself re-seasoning in a hurry!

For those interested in learning more, and with great recipes and links, go to the International Dutch Oven Society's site at: www.IDOS.com

I found that site in the 1990's while a scout leader, and doing a lot more dutch oven cooking than I currently do. Haven't looked at it in a couple of years. It appears that it may be a pay site to get to most of the good stuff. That's a shame. But if you are really into Dutch Oven cooking, it is probably well worth the price!
I recently acquired to cast iron dutch ovens never actually cooked in one so I have some research to do.