View Single Post
Old 02-19-2010, 07:07 PM   #23
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Starting to like wine...the Red version

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggainey View Post
I am an admitted complete idiot when it comes to wine. I have found I do like cabs and port. I have a wine that a lady from my church gave us called Mission Hill Reserve Riesling Icewine 2004 that is awesome. Am I tasting olives? Or is that my imagination?
Greg,

Icewine is usually sweeter than Auslese and by law it has to be picked when berries are frozen. They literally grow these in colder climates (Germany and Canada) and simply let the grapes stay on vines until winter hits. What that does, the cold snap I mean, is evaporate most of the liquid out of berries in turn concentrating what's left with the sugar inside (they usually pick in snow). Imagine raisin like berries (deflated) full of sweet juice. Then they pick and press.

Have not tasted that particular wine. If you taste olives, then olives it is :-)

Italians do something similar with red grapes, Amarone wines. They pick, destem the fruit (picking berries off the stems/clusters) and lay them on special mats under the sun. Achieves same thing: water evaporation and sugar concentration. When berries get raisiny they are pressed and fermented, same as ice wine. The biggest difference may be the use of oak in Amarone to age wine versus stainless steel tanks for icewine.

Best Canada made icewines are pricey, but I've seen some at Costco at decent prices. German Reislings made from frozen grapes are really expensive as are Alsace Gewurtztramiers. But if there is a time to splurge, once a year or whatever, they can be mild blowing experiences, you simply pour some in a glass and sit back sniffing the wine for all its complexity and concentration.

Try a few more affordable German Reislings with spicy cuisine. I've seen some at Trader Joe's and Costco. Just make sure they are at least Spatlese (shoul be on the label) or Auslese. Trader Joe's sold some Beerenauslese (next step up) for $20 per, a 375ml bottle.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote