Thread: The Wine Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2008, 09:21 AM   #147
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: The Wine Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Sure, which varietal do you want to start with? Chardonnay would be good one. The style and quality is huge, and what people are drinking is equally as big. There's some cheaters for the price both from France and USA, with an occasional S. American mixed.

It would be best to start a new thread for the varietal you'd like to learn about. I would suggest to you, or anyone who plans to follow the thread and learn is to look up the varietal in Wikipedia to verse yourself. It's more concise and direct that anyone on this site could come with on their own.
moses, you're actually taking my idea a step further than I was talking about. Although I understand that there is much difference to each varietal and each is probably worth of its own thread, I was just looking for a basic listing of say red wine varietals and white wine varietals with decriptions as to what is what. For instance, the difference between Cab, Pinot, Merlot, etc. And I know, at least I think I do, that the main difference is the grape used. I'm asking about what should a Cab be versus a Pinot, etc. Does that make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldukes View Post
I've had this idea in my head- but I was going to wait until the New year to post about it, but why not start it now?

I would love to start a "tasting club" here. I think it would introduce people to new wines, help train palettes, most importantly get people thinking and learning about wine.

heres how it would work:

-Every week/ 2 weeks someone picks a varietal and/or region- this can be chosen out of a hat or have a list set up.

Example- Joe_Smith picks- California Syrah
Everyone goes out and buys a bottle off CA syrah and posts tasting notes- we can eventually modify this to CA Syrah under $20 or Dry Creek Valley Syrah, etc.

-We come up with standard tasting guidelines- notes for sight / nose / taste - etc

- You can taste as many wines as you want to during the alloted time period.

What do you guys think? We can add some guidelines along the way.
Great idea dukes, except again, way more advanced than what I was looking for.

About all I know when I drink a wine is if I like it or not. I have no idea how each varietal is supposed to taste, much less how different regions should and do taste.

Maybe I'm just barking up the wrong tree and should just stick with box wine or Boone's Farm.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote