View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014, 06:36 PM   #8
bruceolee
King of Rants

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
bruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Kris Basso (Tobacco World)

Thank you guys for your kind responses to this thread. I wasn't sure how you guys would take this but that could just be the social anxiety disorder I suffer from and yes it applies to the internet as well.

The first HERF I ever went to was at Tobacco world. My brother and best friend enjoyed cigars but had never experienced cigar culture before so it was an amazing experience not just for me but for them as well. This was still in Club stogie days at that point. Ron (aka RON1YY) and I had become friends from the forums (NST,bombs, and so on) along with andrew, marc, bill and Carlos. When we arrived at the HERF Kris was up front working and immediately comes running up to me to say hello and to tell me the guys were in the members area. It was a little crazy getting to meet all the guys here. The first thing I recall after meeting Ron was Marc (Neuromancer) coming up to me and asking me who I was. I told him who I was and he just blurts out"You're bruceolee! I wanna shake your hand!" and then proceeds to put a cigar in my hand and told me to smoke it "right now!" Whats sad is I don't even remember which cigar it was now. Next thing I know Bill (madurofan) turns me around, shakes my hand and hands me a Monte #2. This would repeat OVER AND OVER again the entire night. Kris was such a gracious host. He had a business to run but he always came back to check on us and joke around with us. The atmosphere he provided made it so we went on a herf streak for a few weeks. That first night my head was spinning from all the cigars and friends I made that night, Carlos could tell a joke or a story that would shut everyone up and having us laughing our asses off the very next moment. What was very cool was the next herf we had most the guys bring their sons along with them and it really became a cool family thing. After a while the wives got invited and we had a blast with everyone. I remember the food Kris would provide (OMG!) was just amazing. Kris had a La Caja China and I remember us all out in the alley smoking cigars, drinking some cocktails, and pulling that unholy goodness that we call pig skin smoked to perfection off that pig or Kris would order sushi for everyone for no reason other than "it's a party" There was also the time he had Rocky Patel join us after an event Rocky did earlier that night and handed us a few of (at that time not released) 92' vintage "the sixty" to try. I have to say thanks to Kris for providing us the venue that created an atmosphere of family with all the guys. It was a classic and cool time for all of us. I still smile and laugh every time I think of Carlos making his sons face turn so red from bragging about attacking his mother in bed. it was all in fun and we always had a blast. The south Florida HERFS at tobacco world always turned into something of a legend. You never knew what was going to happen that night but you always knew you were going to have more fun than any of us ever deserved. Thank you Kris for providing us a place and Joining in and becoming one of the guys with us. Kris could've just hung back in the store collecting the money we spent but he was never like that! Kris was and is a brother through and through. If he called me tonight from Miami needing a ride I wouldn't hesitate to make the 2 hour drive for him he's that great of a friend. Anyways, just thought I'd relay some memories while I have them fresh in my mind.

Also Bill! you'd better be at the HERF in March!