View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Social Networking, Do You?

I've been goaded into Facebooking and Myspacing and get invites for regular "fresh, new social networking sites" on a regular basis.
I don't do any of them anymore, haven't for a long time. I really like being off the grid, and not getting umpteen emails a day because someone wants carrots for their virtual garden.
Don't get me wrong, I don't see anything wrong with any of it. My kids get entirely too immersed to the point of being zombies, but it's a great way for families to stay connected over long distances. It's a great way to keep in touch with friends and make new serial killer friends.
I just like my privacy, and can keep in touch other ways without so many prying eyes. I know I can make myself nearly invisible on Facebook, but it still doesn't do it for me.
I don't mind sharing here because I've met such a large portion of people here and have become friends with so many others. Peter and Tom and the rest of the ToE keep good watch over our home here and it's comfortable.

I just wondered how many others enjoy social networking versus maintaining their privacy and anonymity?
What are your thoughts?
What do you think are the upsides vs. the downsides (if you think there are any of either)?

The poll assumes that messageboards are not "social networking" sites, or at least not in the same vein as Facebook, etc.
Yes, I realize the similarities.