Thread: Hurricane Sandy
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #111
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation
Default Re: Hurricane Sandy

My wife has several "shared" Facebook posts from NJ residents thanking AlaPowCo crews for clearing trees from roads and lines, with a couple posts mentioning that NJ electrical service crews were NOT allowed to do that type of work, but the AlaPowCo crews just did it anyway and got the job done.

I think the "bad" part about the union "misunderstanding" is that it could be taken that the crews were unwanted and/or unappreciated by the people of NJ.
But based on the FB posts from several days ago, I'd say the residents fully appreciated the efforts. However, I saw an article today where residents in some areas were throwing eggs at utility crews today. That's poor gratitude. While its based in frustration, it's a demonstration of lack of patience. I live 5 hours north of the Gulf Coast. In the last 20 years, we have lost power for extended periods seven times as a result of hurricane effects, with Katrenia being the latest, where we were without power for 10 days. The tornados that destroyed Tuscaloosa 2 years ago tracked half a mile south of my house. Left us without power for 7 days. In the Gulf areas, we know that there are levels of destruction that get first attention, and the rest of us have to wait out those efforts. Throwing eggs at the crews working long and dangerous hours in areas that are often far from their homes and families just never entered my mind as a way to get faster service.