View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #1259
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robulous78 View Post
Ok Bourbon Banterer's...

My next question would be if you were looking for a Bourbon with similar "Burn" "warmth" and "bite" to Maker's Mark, what would you suggest? What if you were trying to keep it affordable (under 50.00)?

Jim Beam Black is a very good value and comes close to what I would describe as a little more "rustic" or bold. Perhaps this is what you are going for?

Maker's 46 is very good as well. To me it's a bit lighter and more floral than regular Makers.

For a very bold and unrefined Bourbon, there is Bookers. One of the few that I couldn't handle. Quite a challenge.

Thus appears to be the Bourbon game. Much like cigars. Try a bunch in airplane bottles, or go to a good bar and sample to find what you like. Most important; drink what you like and like what you drink.

If you want really "rustic and affordable" there's always Military Special Bourbon and Heaven Hill Green. Seriously, don't try those.

Edit to say, I think Jim Beam Seven year (red) is one of the best for the money and quite under-rated.