View Single Post
Old 05-25-2011, 09:54 AM   #574
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all
Default Re: Homebrewers - Whats in the fermeter?

My fermenters are all empty, but I just bottled a disastrous SN Torpedo clone this weekend. Pretty much everything that could go wrong, did go wrong with this beer. 10# of malt and I couldn't reach target mash temperature, ended up adding twice as much water as I wanted, the manifold got clogged, the sparge was difficult, I boiled off more liquid than I wanted, overshot my SG by about 10 points, the primary fermentation was so vigorous that I blew off the airlock and got foamy yeast all over the laundry room, for some reason I thought dryhopping with whole cones was a good idea, ended up bottling a whopping 3.5 gallons from an original 6 gallon boil, and I was trying to create a blended yeast strain (Bell's Hopslam + WL001) but forgot to salvage some of the yeast. In twenty years, I have never had such a challenging brew.

On the positive side, it tasted pretty good going into the bottle, so we'll see what a little time does.

Shipped off my last 3 bottles of the Trappist Christmas ale to the final round of the NHC competition yesterday. Hoping for the best!

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote