View Single Post
Old 05-12-2009, 08:33 PM   #13
tzaddi

Default Re: Let's see those '09 gardens

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
Chit, sorry Lance. Never saw your thread about gardens.
Let's ask one of the mods if they will "cornsolodate" the 2 threads and have the best of both threads.

So with the number of containers growing almost daily I am well into the second batch of "Actively Aerated Compost Tea". The basic recipe for this tasty treat is 4.25 cups of quality worm castings per every 5 gallons of de-chlorinated water (let the water sit over night). For every 5 gallons of water I feed my little microbe friends 1/4 cup of unsulphured molasses (feeds the bacateria) and another 1/4 cup of liquid kelp (for the fungi).

We are talking aerobic here, hence the active aeration title, provided by a Super Luft Pump model SL-38 @ 18 watts with a flow rate of 1.34 cubic feet per minute connected to 4 air stones. Where not brewing some stinky anaerobic fermentation here.

This year I have kicked it up a notch or two by adding a wee bit of "archaic bacteria" in the form of mineral dust and some mycorrhizae plus humic acid, yum!

Can you believe this tobacco planting is going into it's 3rd season. That's right, it has survived 3 freezing winters and like a phoenix sprouts from the roots each spring.

Strawberries and some garlic, what a combo.