View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #28
sevans105
Alpha Zombie Wolf "Sceve"

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Cohiba
sevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Cotinine test/screen

Worked for an insurance company for years. This is becoming a much more common thing...as is the obesity screening. Many insurance companies offer discounts for smoke free employees, wellness programs, percentage of employees with "healthy" BMI's, etc, etc.

Many many many studies out there to prove healthy employees are more productive employees and healthy employees are cheaper to insure...less medical claims. While I agree that occasional cigar smoking isn't really a big deal, the tests don't discriminate HOW the cotinine enters your system.

This is the reality. Smoking IS bad for you. Drinking IS bad for you. Being overweight IS bad for you. To argue otherwise is simply denial.

Employers view employees as a tool and insurers view them as a risk. Employers want to get the most use out of their tools and insurers want to mitigate their risk. "Encouraging" better behavior through financial pressure is an effective way to accomplish both those goals.

While I have serious issues with Govt interference in personal choices, I have no issue with businesses choosing to lessen their risk.