View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009, 02:12 PM   #47
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Weber Smokey Mtn...

For a pork butt I trim all the fat off. It gives more surface for the rub. An eight pounder I would give myself 14 hours. It shouldn't take that long but you never know. I cook 'em at 220-230. When the internal temp of the butt gets to 170 it should have broken the "stuck" period when the collagen is broken down. Then I take it off the smoker, put it on two pieces of tin foil, add some apple juice, and double wrap it. Put it back on the smoker. If I am slicing it take it to 180. If I am pulling I take it to 190. Either way you want to pull it off the smoker, put it in a small cooler, take the extra space up with an old towel, and let it rest for at least an hour. You can hold them this way for up to 4 hours with no problem.

Just don't sweat it though... it really is pretty hard to truly mess on up. I'd be glad to provide phone support if needed!!