View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #63
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: JoePa.....Sad if true....

Scott, I have read the information to are saying you have read. I still have a different opinion. That is okay, we do not have to agree and I don't want you to feel like there is ill will because of that. I am not saying I am right, just expressing where I stand.

You say that Joe Paterno did everything he could. I cannot agree, because in everything I have read, I have never see it reported that Joe Paterno reported his second hand knowledge of rape of a child, to the police. The report was from his staff and happened at his workplace. That is after you were privy to the fact that this may have happened before. It appears that he told his boss and washed his hands of it, then when nothing was done, it appears he said "so be it." IMO, when he was told, he should have phoned the police, right then and there....not a boss, not staffed it out, but dialed the police and said, I think you need to come listen to this.

According to the indictment, in 2002 a Penn State graduate assistant - now-assistant coach Mike McQueary[15] - walked in on a ten-year-old boy being subjected to anal intercourse by Sandusky in the Lasch Football Building on the Penn State campus.[16] The next day, he reported the incident to Paterno, who informed Curley. Ultimately, the only action Curley and Schultz took was to order Sandusky not to bring any children from Second Mile to the football building—an action that was approved by school president Graham Spanier. The indictment accused Curley and Schultz of not only failing to tell the police, but falsely telling the grand jury that the graduate assistant never informed them of sexual activity.

"This is a tragedy," Paterno said of the case. "It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more."

Pennsylvania state police Commissioner Frank Noonan said that though some may have fulfilled their legal obligation to report suspected abuse, "somebody has to question about what I would consider the moral requirements for a human being that knows of sexual things that are taking place with a child," and that, "I think you have the moral responsibility, anyone. Not whether you're a football coach or a university president or the guy sweeping the building. I think you have a moral responsibility to call us."
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote