-----

Ingredients
3 cups white sugar
10 teaspoons instant coffee
2 cups distilled water
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups vodka

Directions
1) Mix sugar, coffee and water in a large pot and bring to a boil.
2) Immediately reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hour, stir every now and then.
3) Cool to room temperature.
4) Pour into a clean glass bottle.
5) Add 1 TBS vanilla and 2 cups vodka
6) Shake like crazy to mix
7) Allow to sit for one to two weeks to allow flavors to meld.

Notes from my experiences with this:
-------
- Any instant coffee will do, if it is a lighter bodied coffee, like a decaf (which is actually what I use for this, then you want to use a bit more. I use 15 teaspoons. I don't see any reason why you couldn't use a flavored instant coffee like a hazelnut if that's what you wanted, although I do think that coffees with creamer in them (like the general foods international flavors) are probably best avoided, that artificial creamer might get really wonky after being simmered for an hour.
- If you don't have distilled water, use bottled water. If you have a good RO purifier, that would be fine too. I would avoid Britta filter pitchers and the like, as they don't completely clean the water and it might result in a muddy taste after the long simmer.
- Be careful when simmering the sugar mix down, use the tallest pot you can find to prevent boil over.
- When you stir the simmering mixture, remove it from the heat source before stirring and wait a moment or you might experience some serious boil over.
- You should have about 2 cups of liquid after simmering is complete, so with 80 proof vodka the final liqueur will be about 40 proof give or take a few.
- If you want some kick in it, swap out the vodka for Everclear 190 proof alcohol (or Everclear 151 for those of you in restrictive states like California). (this is the best part)

Last edited by T.G; 06-08-2010 at 02:03 PM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote