View Single Post
Old 12-17-2014, 06:34 PM   #19
WaRevo
Still Watching My Back

First Name: James
Trading: (2)
WaRevo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Problem?

Looking at Google it seems that the only sidekicks that are out there today are toss away like normal Bic lighters besides it has the ability to flame up or our 45degrees still cool however it seems there is an issue with low fuel when people get them. So .80 each I mean really not to bad for cost. Mine is Refillable and love it.

Secondly here is a picture of what I use to ream my pipes. Yes as you see in the picture you can use even a Pocket knife. however if you do use a pocket knife as a reaming tool be sure to round off any sharp tip or pay very very close attention while reaming with one that isn't a blunt tip.

Next you see the Czech tool, This tool is good for pipe smokers because it lets us tamp the pipe, poke out a plugged draft hole and spoon out ash or tobacco that you didn't want to smoke after all, That spoon looking tool is used for reaming out your pipe. It takes longer and is safe for your pipes because it is very blunt hard to leave deep gouges in the briar. Also in the picture is a Spread blunt reamer, I don't like it and really with the types of metal it is made out of just don't seem to work very well. Bought it before I knew better so I would stay way from that one at all cost. It is the one with 2 blunt blades outside the T handle in my picture. (POS) Then the last item is the Senior Reamer and that one is good for taking out cake and even reaming out some of the brair as well it has 3 semi sharp reaming blades and does a good job. As you get the cake thinner you just adjust the knob to move the blades out some more to get the cake out..... in the end of the tool also seen in the picture is a drill that is good for drilling out a draft hole that hasn't been cleaned very well and is starting to close up with tars and sap that could be in briar that wasn't treated right before making it into a pipe. Only seen it a couple of times some hardened over sap that almost closed in the pipe draft hole.

If you can afford or want to get a good reamer and one that I will buy soon is called a Pipnet reamer and it is a T handle reamer Has different size blade inserts and works well all the way to the bottom of the bowl. There is a less quality T handle reamer set by Castleford. It works the same way as the pipnet just not as well built and could be bought much less then the pipnet. I hope some of this information you find useful.

Don't forget there is always the Repair services that were stated by another poster. they do great work and when done the pipe will look almost new. The link that Subvet642 has listed above they do great work and from what they say here is some info they have listed on the site so you know what is going on and for 35 it is a great deal really seeing what is being done.

""I take great pride in my restorations. There are no “Before/After” photos posted here as none are needed. Just visualizing your Collector pipe or “Old Pal” as it would have looked brand new.

Full Pipe Restoration Includes:

Restoring Stem - Remove ALL tooth Marks, reform button or replace Stem if necessary and authorized (Replacing stem cost more)
Open the Airway to 5/32” where pipe size allows
Refinish Rim - Remove all charring, rerusticate (if appropriate)
Strip, sand and restain bowl - Remove scratches, dents, etc.;
Rerusticate Bowl where appropriate or necessary
Remove carbon from tobacco chamber, reround bowl and finish
Sanitize entire airway and freshen
Buff and Polish with multi-coats of Carnauba Wax ""

Hope you find pleasure in your old pipe once again. Even if that means paying someone to bring it back to life it once had.

James

WaRevo is offline   Reply With Quote