View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 01:29 PM   #29
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (15)
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Being a Hockey Parent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
I have a few questions for you hockey parents. My son is 4 and will be starting Kindergarten in September. He turns 5 in November.

My questions are:

What age can he start playing ice hockey?

What are the expected costs (ballpark)

Should I start him out in floor or roller hockey first?

I only ask because I've never really played ice hockey. I grew up playing street hockey and indoor floor hockey. In college I played a season of roller, but only 1 game in an organized ice hockey league as a fill in. I know nothing of how youth ice hockey works.

Thanks,
Mike
I would check with your local hockey association. I was a board member of ours for the past 5 years, and the one thing we worked the hardest on was to increase the number of players. We did this in a couple of ways. First, we instituted a "Learn to Skate Program", then started a "Learn to Play Hockey" program. Both of these programs were inexpensive. We also had free equipment for 1st year players. After the first year, and up to the squirt level you could lease the equipment for the year for around $100. That's where I would start anyways. Either the association or the Rink manager should be able to help.
Gophernut is offline   Reply With Quote